Posted by : Unknown Sunday 9 March 2014


This post is a brief breakdown on my workflow for planning a project, plus most of the videos that I’ve found on the web of Canterbury Cathedral.

Before I plan to film a project/event, my number one rule that I’ve set myself is, I always check the web to see any existing footage of its location, how it was filmed/covered, the camera used (if provided in the info) and any other possible equipment used to carry out the production, and what the end result of it was, book marking these videos during this process.

Regardless of the quality of the equipment used, for example, it could be a high end production from the bbc, or a semi pro production from someone using a dslr, or even something filmed on a mobile phone, the information provided to me from these videos helps me analyse and consider possible angles I can cover the event from (i.e. birds eye wide establishing shot, or looking up wide establishing shot), lighting situation (such as where the practical light is coming from and what practical light is at the location, this could be for example, outside light through the window, or lighting provided by the building such as i.e. nightclub flood lights, plus did the video use additional lights), the activity of the location (is it busy or is it quiet? This will help me with planning a story and know what to expect from the location), lens used (will let me know how a certain lens captured the location and the end result, which will help me judge if I like the distortion of the lens in that environment, plus if it was a fast lens, how it picked up the natural lighting of its location to help show its ambience) the exposure of the practical lighting (i.e. in the cathedral with the window panels letting through lots of light, constant change in exposure) the story of the video.

These few things along with many other analysis of the video will help me to plan on how to cover the event in regards to what lens I want to use and how it will help with providing more light, if in a low lit situation, also what lens to use to capture the location, do I want to use a 14mm super wide angle lens to get a wide establishing shot from close to the building to give it a really wide distorted look. Additional lighting to bring along with me and the effect it will have on the footage (i.e. bright led light will light up the location, but flood out the natural ambience light (depending on lens), but can be used to create a DOF between subject and background), also with planning a story for the event as well, having seen what stories/coverage has been done, this will help me to know what to do, or what not to do, plus give me ideas from their videos as to what worked and looked nice and what didn’t.


Hopefully this kind of makes sense, but these are some of the thought processes that go through my mind when I’m watching these videos, and it happens instantaneously where my mind is set on breaking down these videos to pick out the good points and the bad points, helping me to better prepare to film at the location.


Here are some of the videos that I’ve found on the web of Canterbury Cathedral:




Interview based with a lot of cut away B/Roll footage (important video 11 mins long)


Voice narrated video






Voice narrated video



Presenter based video with V/O



Voice narrated video












Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Followers

Andrei Allen. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Andrei Allen UCA Broadcast Media Blog -Black Rock Shooter- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan