Posted by : Unknown Monday 23 September 2013



Task
At the end of today’s lecture, Simon set us a homework task, what was to come up with a 25-word pitch for a story based on a current news event.

The News story I chose to create a pitch for, was, the Terrorist event that is currently happening in Westgate Mall in Nairobi Africa.

Besides the Pitch examples that we were shown in our lecture, to get a better understanding of a variety of Screenplay pitches, I searched on the internet for Action films and was directed to a film database website called www.imdb.com


This website had a humongous variety of different film pitches which covered most main genres. I browsed through the action section, because my pitch is an action themed screenplay, so that I could get an idea of how these films sold their story in such a short convincing way to try and see if I could get some inspiration.

While I was reading these pitches I jotted down a few ideas so that I had a template to work off of 


Examples

(1st person narrative idea)
We have attackers pinned down in the shopping centre, but they still have hostages, tension is rising as their demands are irrational.. How will this end?

Under siege, irrational demands, tempers running wild, caught up in the cross fire, Lucas and his family find themselves in the middle of a terrorist feud

The final idea that I came up with was


Attack on Westgate Mall

On September 22nd, 2013, Kenyan Special Forces heroically embark on a covert mission to try rescue the remaining hostages held captive by the sinister AL-Shabab


I felt to go with this pitch because the idea I had envisioned if this was turned into a film, would be very action packed all guns blazing ect

Feedback
The reception I had gotten from Simon off of this pitch was that the idea was good but the pitch was too predictable and straightforward, that it pretty much tells the audience in a nutshell what the story is about, without creating any tension or suspense in the pitch. Based off of this feedback I decided to alter my pitch and make it a bit more interesting, give it that edge what would make readers want to view it

Divine intervention

On September 22nd, 2013, Holidaymaker Timothy and his family survived what would be known as Nairobi’s darkest day in history






Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Followers

Andrei Allen. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Andrei Allen UCA Broadcast Media Blog -Black Rock Shooter- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan