Posted by : Unknown Tuesday 15 October 2013



So I’ve begun to adapt my story into a script.
Because in my story in act 2 is Phillip training himself up, originally I was looking to have a split screen montage in my script where by on one half of the screen we see Phillip training and on the other half we see Phillip getting bullied every day, but when I was trying to find examples of this either in a script or an actual footage I didn’t have any joy as there was nothing out there what I could find, however I did come across a few good examples of split screens and montages in both screenplays and also footage.

The first example of a split screen I found was one that I’d remembered from a film called Kill Bill by Quentin Tarantino.

In this scene of the film we’re watching “Uma Thurman” lying in a comatose state when an assassin named “Elle Driver’ is in a separate room; dressing up in a nurses uniform and preparing an antidote. All of this is happening on two separate parts of the screen at the same time.
To get an idea of the format of the screenplay and also the pacing of it on film, I read the script at the same time as watching this scene to see how everything was organised.












The second example I’m going to show you is a montage from the start of a film called “Hot Fuzz” by Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright. With this montage the Screenplay follows a series of shots with voice over narrating the story as their introducing “Police Constable Nicholas Angel”.
Again, to see how they managed to organise all of this I read the script while I was watching the footage










This example I thought I’d add into my research because I found it interesting, seeing a collage of different types of split screens from a variety of films



While on the screenplay website imsdb I checked out other scripts to see how the action scenes were narrated in them, to help me with writing up my action scenes; and also with general scene description. Some of the scripts that I check out were:

  • Kill bill
  • The Incredible
  • Jason Bourne films
  • Rocky films
  • Hot fuzz
  • American pie

Conclusion

Having done my research i've decided to go ahead with doing a montage in a series of shots structure whereby; it will start off in the morning with Phillip commuting to school and being bullied by Shaun and his gang, and then in the evening Phillip training in his garage, showing an improvement in the training scene as each day goes past.

Websites used for research
These are some of the websites I used for my research


Kill bill script







Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Followers

Andrei Allen. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Andrei Allen UCA Broadcast Media Blog -Black Rock Shooter- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan