Posted by : Unknown Saturday 2 November 2013




Warning there is violence in some of the examples that i'm showing!

Because the opening minute and a half from my script mainly consists of mobile phone footage, I’ve been trying to find examples of this style used in movies/short films; and also examples of the different qualities of footage from mobile cameras.

The first example is one from a short film that I got presented in class called ‘Soft’ Written and Directed by Simon Ellis. The use of mobile phone footage throughout different scenes in this short film is the look that I like and was particularly drawn towards, as it’s a common practice now days amongst bullies to film their assaults that they’re carrying out.


0-0:41


This is my favourite example because I like the rubbish pixelated quality footage, and the guerrilla style point of view filming. It gives the viewer that personal up front feel like they’re being taken on a journey of whatever the camera man wants them to see. Also the tinny audio that we can hear helps to further project the fact that it’s coming through a mobile phone camera, the peaking on certain high pitched notes which slightly distorts the audio is a common feature of most mobile phone cameras, as they can only allow a certain amount of loudness/volume through its low quality onboard microphone before it starts peaking and distorts.





This example that I found online called ‘the greatest movie ever’ by FamilyFirstJ was filmed entirely on a HTC EVO 4g mobile phone.
I like this example because of the poor grainy quality from the camera, again gives it that authentication that its coming from a mobile phone camera.


Because my opening scene consists of a boy being duct taped to a pole, I thought that I'd look at some examples of this happening and see how it looks and sounds raw, as in no editing done to the audio and video; because my previous examples are all edited, also, in order for me to have an idea of how I’ll need to set up my audio recording and what quality of camera recording to use. The best and quickest time saving way to do all of this is to see what has been done before.

Below are some examples that i've found and like:




The quality of the audio from all of these mobile onboard Mic recordings is pretty much spot on for the sound that I’m aiming towards, because it picks up the atmospheric noise perfectly, it pretty much assures me that my background noise would sound alright so long as there’s not too much wind on the day of me filming.
We can hear the duct tape being pulled from its roll and we also hear the laughter of the individual people in the videos, each sound element pretty much stands out clearly even though we’re hearing it all at the same time, which is good. If I use wired Mics on each of my actors to pick up their voice I could sync it with the mobile video recording to give the actors voice more clarity, especially if the day I film on just so happens to be windy.
Im also pretty much happy with the quality of footage coming from the phones as its not too high so the viewers can distinguish the fact that its coming from a mobile.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Followers

Andrei Allen. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Andrei Allen UCA Broadcast Media Blog -Black Rock Shooter- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan